If your reading this your probably like me, which means your pretty attached to your dog and probably consider him a family member. You may even call him your fur child or your 4 legged kid. Here at our house, my now 14 year old grew up being, affectionately referred to as my human puppy. She knew, from me, that was a compliment of the highest order and now every once in a while in a tender moment she'll come give me a hug and say "I'm your human puppy" usually followed by a kiss on the cheek.
Want to compare your relationship with your dog to other peoples relationship with theirs? In a Harris Poll conducted in May 2011:
- 91% of pet owners consider their pet to be family members.
- 57% Say they let their pets sleep with them frequently and only 23% say they never do.
- 60 % have bought their pet holiday presents
- 36% have bought their pet a birthday present
- 24% have cooked specifically for their pet
- 16% have dressed them in some type of clothing
- 11% have taken their pet to work with them
And now there is even a test for measuring your attachment to your dog.
Psychologists at the university of Kentucky in Lexington have produced a simple test you can take.
The Lexington Pet Attachment index is an easy 6 question test.
Yes 5 Maybe 3 Don't know 1 No 0
- Do you consider your dog a friend?
- Do you talk to your dog?
- Would you say that owning a dog adds to your happiness?
- Do you talk to others about your dog?
- Do you often play with your dog
- Does your dog know how you feel about things?
The higher the your score, the higher your attachment to your dog. The life of the same dog living with a high scorer would be very different from the life he would live with a low scorer.
Some picture sent to me over the years, from shopping to ATVing, couch time to out and about time. We love our dogs!
My score was 30 BTW. What was yours and what things do you and your dog share?